Monday, March 2, 2009

Worship The King


Paula and I have been members of Living Hope since 2005. Our sons Seth and Patrick are members as well by letter of transfer. Austin is our oldest child and is still a member of First Baptist Church in Hodgenville while attending college at WKU. I have been involved with the Tech Ministry as a Sound Tech from the time we joined the church. I had been part of a Tech Ministry prior to coming to Living Hope. I also serve in the Personal Finance Ministry and on the Parent Leadership Team of the student ministry. Paula and I are members of an ABF and small group.

I would like to start this conversation with some thoughts about the Worship Service. I struggle to express how much this hour means to me and the impact it has on my life. It is the culmination and yet the beginning of my walk each week with God. I reflect on how awesome our God is as we sing praises to the King. The words of the songs prepare my heart for the message and connect me to the body of Christ as only the Holy Spirit can do. I serve in the Tech Ministry with the purpose of supporting the efforts necessary to provide this experience. Each of us that serve, with the gifts God has given us, realizes the contribution we offer to the moments of the service that touch our sensibilities. From the singing and music to the video, graphics, and lighting, artistry is created that exalts our Lord and praises His holiness. These scenes are then captured by camera and CD to be made available after the service and published on the web for others to experience. The modern technology we use and the dedicated people that operate it help to provide a level of excellence in the presentation of the gospel. This presentation brings about a connection with the daily lives we lead during the week with the fullness of the living God who created this world we are traveling through. For me, as I participate with the worship team, I am able to exalt the God who created me, praise the God who loves me, and acknowledge the God who came to me through his son Jesus. If these words capture your heart with a calling to serve, there is a place for you in the many opportunities available through the Worship Ministry.

We worshipped the King today through the Lord’s Supper. I am always humbled during this time of reflection over the sacrifice Jesus made for me. As we sang the words of Rescue, I am awakened again to how “this world has nothing for me”.

The special music leading into the sermon today connected so well for me with the message. As Jon sang the words about the “fear that tears at our words”, I came face to face with that person whom we all know. That person for whom “time is not their friend” and “as we dance around the truth” we realize this might be our last chance to save their life. I know this may be over-playing the phrases of the song. But, we hear this music in our cars and homes every day and to have it performed within the context of a message changes its impact.

Jason encouraged me concerning the impact I have with others from Acts 2:14-28 with the story of Peter. A fisherman who left everything he knew and possessed to follow a man that he later came to realize was God. Yet after this revelation, he denied Jesus three times. But Jesus knew Peter’s destiny would not end with those moments. Peter is later found by Jesus to be forgiven, healed, and emboldened through the Holy Spirit to open the Kingdom of God to the world. I see the hope that only Jesus can restore when the “Accuser” tells us we have failed beyond any possible redemption.

Jason challenged me with Peter’s testimony to know the word of God as he did. To be able to express my faith with a resolve and confidence that leaves no doubts about what is truth and what is not. His illustration of the Holy Spirit expanding our lives similar to how he filled the balloon with air left me examining my life for that spiritual growth.

As the service ended in prayer with Beth singing “there is something about that name”, I realized that my hope is not of this world but is in knowing the name and person of Jesus.

My hope in leaving this article with you is that you can see how God works through the men and women of the Worship Ministry to bring revelation to the service. If you are someone that has a desire to contribute to this ministry, there are many ways to offer service. Opportunities exist for participation in the music or serving behind the scenes with the technical and administrative staff. Come and be a part of a team that supports our experiences as we worship the King.

No comments: