Sunday, April 5, 2009

Crowd vs. Committed


Jeff Carlisle is the missions pastor at Living Hope. He has served at the church for over fifteen years. He came to faith at Living Hope, while he was a college student at Western Kentucky University.




Today Scott Kilgore, the executive pastor, delivered a great message today.
As usual Scott delivered a funny and applicable word about how we, as church
members, can be committed to the cause of Christ. He also dropped a nugget
of a take away for us. Scott said a golf club in his hands was worth about
$200. A golf club in Tiger Wood¹s hands is worth about a million. Same
club, but the worth all depends on whose hands it was in. He went on to say
that three nails in his hands might be enough to hang something on the wall,
but three nails for Jesus was a way for Him to save the world.

Wow! That illustration opened up the floodgates of thought. Two thoughts
surface after pondering this nugget. One, Christ saved me. There is nothing
I could have done that would have brought me closer to the almighty Father.
It was only through the actions of the Son that I have been forgiven and
saved. I often overlook the power of Christ's action. I take it for
granted.

The second thought refers to what God has put in my hands. God has placed
His word in my hands. He has given it to me, not to hide in, but to give it
away. It is so easy to hold on to His word instead of giving it away.

I think the Vanderpools' model is what hit me today. The Vanderpools are
committed followers of Christ. They realize what Christ did for them and
they don't take it lightly. They are taking what Christ gave them and are
going into South Asia to give it away. How cool is that?

What is stopping us from being committed? What is preventing us from taking
our faith into a dying world?

No comments: