Tuesday, June 23, 2009


Father’s Day provides a nice backdrop for considering family and the role God has for us. No matter how you remember your time with your father, family is where we learn what kind of parents we want to be. Some of us are fortunate to have great biblical examples in our fathers, who taught their children about God, the power of his Word and how to pray. Others may have longed for that kind of time and interaction with their dad, but it was not forthcoming. This often builds determination to take a different path with your own family. Whatever your experience, that has shaped your approach with your children, we are fortunate that our heavenly Father has given us instruction in His Word and has charged us with teaching, loving and correcting our children to build a strong foundation for a faith filled life. My favorite verses on this are Deut 11:18-19 as Moses is instructing Israel on how to use God’s word: “You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up.” (NASB 1995) How’s that for clear practical instruction? (Also see Deut 4:10; Deut 6:7; Ps 78:5).

Hello, my name is Steve Pattison, the newest Elder affirmed by Living Hope. My wife Karen and I have been members and have served at Living Hope since 1994. Our four children have always enjoyed attending and worshiping with us: Tracey, Steven, Heather and Kristina. I have been blessed to see three of my children baptized in the church with the fourth firmly on the same path. Karen and I have served together as children’s Sunday school teachers. I have served on and chaired the personnel committee, led and coached small groups, and was ordained as a deacon in 2005, serving as chairman for two years.

My own experience was likely common for many. My mother took me to Sunday School, but I received no teaching at home from God’s word or instruction in prayer. My stepfather pointed to some bad experience as a child with someone from church as his reason/excuse to avoid church and matters of the faith altogether. Fortunately, God’s call to me brought with it a hunger for the Word, and being a skilled reader, I learned a great deal about God’s nature from Old Testament stories. Still I wonder, what mistakes and consequences would I have been spared, had my spiritual walk been fully developed before leaving home.

Without a doubt we all want the best for our children. But often we feel we can only teach up to the limits of our own knowledge and experience. This should certainly drive us to our own personal studies and a desire for a firm understanding of God’s word. However, don’t under estimate the wisdom already present in God’s word and the power of the Holy Spirit in you to interpret its meaning. Simply reading God’s word directly to your children carries an innate lesson in every chapter. Learning together with your children is certainly far superior to leaving them to learn on their own, or relegating that responsibility to the church. You may not be able to answer their every question right away. But you have a large church family to lean on for help with those tough questions. I am convinced that God will bless efforts like these mightily, and you will find joy in learning and hearing God’s wisdom come from your own child’s mouth. All it takes from you is time and commitment. That sounds like love to me!

May God bless you and your family richly!

Steve Pattison

1 comment:

al said...

Very well said, Steve.
May our Lord bless and keep you in your role as elder in loving care and discipline of His church.