Monday, June 15, 2009

God, Grandmothers, and the Great Commission


During spring break of 1983 while I was in high school, I was staying with a friend who attended Living Hope. We were suppose to play baseball that week for the junior varsity team, but we got rained out the entire week. Being young boys, we were obviously full of energy and needed something to do. My friend Scott, whose mother Cheryl has served at Living Hope for a number of years, suggested we might help come and do some cleaning and chores around the church. At the time, the church was what we know as fellowship hall today. We spent most of the day working and getting the church ready for Sunday morning worship. Little did I know at the time that I would have a chance to serve Living Hope in a whole different role.

My name is Greg Morris and my wife Mia, daughter McKenzie and son Max have worshiped at Living Hope since 2003. Our journey began at Living Hope after a request from my daughter to visit where some of her friends from school worshiped. We visited that day and have been here ever since. I have had the privilege and blessing of serving in the children's ministry, on the men's ministry team, and as a deacon. I also was blessed to baptize my daughter McKenzie in 2006.

It has truly been a humbling experience to consider serving as elder of Living Hope.I have spent much time in prayer, studying the Word and talking with others. God spoke to me in a number of different ways. None more that yesterday when after giving my testimony at the 11:00 service a lady met me in the hall and said "I am waiting to see you!". She continued by saying "I have got something we have got to talk about". I must say I don't recall meeting her before, but she had my attention. With my family by my side, she said "I was friends with your grandmother and we used to play golf together. She would have been so proud of you!" My grandmother passed away September 11,2001, not a date that's hard to remember.

As I shared during my time Sunday the passage from Hebrews 12:1-3, I thought about my grandmother. In that passage it says "since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses". The writer is talking about so many examples of those whose past life of faith have been an encouragement to ours. When I read about these witnesses, I think about many examples from scriptures, but I also think about those people in my life who have given me encouragement. When I read that passage Sunday morning before coming to church, I thought about her and remembered back on what she had taught me. Little did I know there would be someone who was connected to one of those witnesses that has encouraged my walk of faith.

I look forward to what God has in store for not only this community, but for the world as the Lord works through us to help other people get to God, grow in Christ and give to others.

No comments: